Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Snow SOL- The Wipeout

    We had gotten up early this morning. To be more specific, we had gotten up at 4:30 AM, which could have been 12:30 for all the difference I felt. We had met up with my father's friend and his son, and driven to Winter Park. I had skied so much I felt I could drop. My dad had told me that, after this run, I could eat lunch. We had taken  the chairlift up, and then skied to where we would have to break off to a steep section at the very bottom. I was miserable and annoyed. The two men-Dad and his friend-gave us instructions for going down. I thought they were done when I headed off.

         It is too fast, much too fast. I think back to Ski School. I despised it and ranked it an 11 on the 1 to 10 Stupidness Scale, and it had taught me no practical advice. The only thing that applied to the situation was to "make a pizza wedge with my feet". This only accelerates me. I then try desperately to make it to the turnoff. I still insist ski poles could have saved me.

         I wake up on the other side of the fence. I am not sure what happened. It seems less than a millisecond after my memory lapsed. The best I can later piece together is that I ran full-force into the  plastic-mesh fence, flipped over, and had my face knocked into the snow. That is the reason I got a black eye, a bloody nose, and a swollen lip. A bunch of health care people spirited me off into an office. After what seemed like an eternity, Dad arrived.

No comments:

Post a Comment